Friday, May 22, 2009

An update(s)

Whew. It's been a while since I posted any blogs. I could say its because I've been so busy pulling Bermuda grass out of my flowerbeds (and that would be partly true). I could say it's because I'm a slacker (and there might be an element of truth to that). I could say it's because I've had nothing interesting happen (not entirely true). So I just won't tell you.

But one thing I did notice as I sat down to check my email this morning was...

an update notice.

Do you get these? Little pop-up windows telling you that your anti-virus protection has a new update available? Reminders that your music software has a new version? Requests like "Do you want your printer to check if there's an update?"

They're like little Jack Russell terriers popping up all over the place!! (Yes, I left out a word there, SG.)


I generally leave updates to SG. There are too many things that alarm me about trusting a machine to restore itself to the configuration I am familiar with. So I ignore...evade...click on "remind me later"...generally avoid them. I figure updates are like housework. Completely thankless and often pointless because it NEVER STAYS DONE!

Am I out of date? Well, that sort of goes without saying if you ask my kids. And I sit down at my computer with the knowledge that there out there somewhere just waiting, kind of like my neighbor's cat used to sit and stare through the screen door, just waiting for a chance to slip in even though she knew she wasn't welcome.

Let ME IN!

So in an effort to be up to date (hmmm, that might be what prompted the hair cut too) yesterday I decided to shut the computer down and let the flock/herd/bevvy of little terriers in through the screen door. Took a few minutes, I had to remember a few of the necessary steps on my part (like turn the computer back on), and what was the first thing I saw?

A little pop-up in the bottom right corner of the monitor:

"There are updates ready for your computer.
Would you like to install them now?"

Argh!! I'm going to do the dishes.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Yeah...iTunes is the worst for updates. I update my brains out and never see a change. Why can't they just LEAVE IT THE WAY IT IS???? It's WORKING!!!! STOP MESSING WITH IT!!!!

Oh. Got carried away there. Sorry.