When I looked closer, a very boldly colored bird was diving in and out of my rose bushes. The friend on the phone is wise in the ways of birds and told me I had orioles dropping in. Apparently they've been know to attack hummingbird feeders because they love the nectar but are too big to get at it. (Greedy things!) The biggest clue I had when they were around is that the rose bushes would be shaking like crazy and then a bright yellow head would pop out before diving back into the rose bush. (I hoped they were hunting for spiders.)

I've since learned that they are Bullock's Orioles and that they don't hang around for long. Sort of a bird equivalent of ADHD, I guess. But the wise friend says they LOVE orange halves so I may bait the yard for a bit and see if they come back. They only stayed for about 20 minutes this time. It was a fly-by sort of visit.

At least they didn't complain about the spider webs in the corners...

3 comments:
Wow Val! Those are great pictures! I love the picture of the oriole in flight. We are starting to see more orioles in Saskatoon too. A person never saw them and now they seem to have come here too. What do you know?
Saskatoon, too? Really? Hey - maybe we could train them like carrier pigeons!!
Wouldn't that be great! No duty on gifts!
Post a Comment