As part of the party, I'm planning to post some multiple choice/spot the difference Canadian words and phrases with their American counterparts around the room just as sort of ice breakers. I've had far too many people look at me with that "you're-not-from-around-these-parts-are-ya" look when a word slips out that they don't know. And in all honesty we've been "from-around-these-parts" long enough that even I'm not sure of the difference any more.
My kids have been trying to retain some of their Canadian heritage by throwing an "eh?" onto the end of their sentences. And I haven't been able to avoid noticing how thoroughly bad they are at it. It just lacks conviction. Perhaps summer in Oregon isn't the only proof that we're in a melting pot.
One source I would highly recommend as a Canadian primer is How To Be A Canadian by Ian and Will Ferguson. Hysterically funny as only the truth can be. (BTW, if you follow that link, note that my copy has a picture of a classy place setting with doughnut in the middle of the plate. I like mine better.) A few crudities but in my opinion it only serves to highlight the mishmash that is Canada.
In the meantime, if you're desperate for a way to communicate with those on either side of the 49th, here a translation site I found. It should probably be mandatory for anyone entering the diplomatic core...

4 comments:
I HAVE THAT VERY SAME BOOK!!!!! And I thought I was the only one!
Now I'm going to read it again, and torture Spike with out-loud excerpts.
It's the only book that almost got me kicked out of bed because I was laughing too hard...
:)
Did he make it back for the party?
Yes, he did. With a whole hour to spare, too. It was funny driving to the airport in total sunshine but seeing the fog laying right along the runway and not being sure if they'd actually try to land. If they could just land two blocks to the left...
Post a Comment