Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Knee-jerk (elbow-jerk? wrist-jerk?) reactions

America has a lovely thing called the "Do Not Call" list. Since its inception, it has GREATLY reduced the number of phone calls from people trying to sell me things that I neither want nor need (nor have heard of) while I watch my supper getting cold on my plate from a few feet away. Some of the callers were quite gracious, some were bored and some had that hint of desperation in their voices but the answer still had to be no. I didn't envy them their job but the answer still had to be no.

For awhile, it was our policy to invite the charities (but not the polyvinyl fencing guys or the invest in the future of mushrooms guys) to send us an information package so that when we did our year-end planning we would remember to consider their cause. In several years of taking this approach, NOT ONE sent us a tangible piece of information. So the answer became NO. Short, snappy, easy to remember.

Can you tell I'm a fan of the Do Not Call list? But there's still one company/sheister/guy in a dirty T-shirt that calls. I strongly suspect that if I had call display, it would read "Number not available" because I'm sure they know they're violating a law somewhere. It's an automated recording of a woman's voice that says "This is an important message about your current credit c..."

I couldn't tell you what else the message is about because that's the point I hang up.

But here's the thing. I've noticed that the woman's voice in the call is starting to speak faster. Seriously, the recording is getting quicker and is approaching those vocal speed limits usually reserved for the voice-over on medication commercials. Of course, it means I also have to hang up quicker to avoid hearing more of her message. It's like one of those jungle-reflex-survival games or Attack Whack-A-Mole or something. You don't know when that ring will mean another recording or when it might be your father (the only two people that call at those times of day) and you don't want to be wrong.

I think I'm getting pretty good at it though. And this morning when my early morning reflexes surprised me with their quick response to her vocal sprint, I realized something...

I'm wearing her down.













Wooo-hooo! It's about time...


Added: 5-3-09

Gaaack! They must have read my blog because a new message came today. It's Rachel and she's happy to tell me there's no problem with my current account! But it's important that I call about reducing my interest rate!! Please... (CLICK)

1 comment:

Patti said...

We get that exact same call too, but the message never ends, and it fills up our answering machine.

Yes. "Machine". Not voice mail. Very, very annoying.

But because of that, I learned that if I wait long enough - and I do mean wait - eventually the recording says "press 3 to be removed from this call list" at lightning speed.

But you have to wait.