Thursday, May 28, 2009

Strolling through my garden

I mentioned that I've been working on our yard. (We - have been working on our yard. Sorry, sweetie.) It's coming together very nicely and I'm quite excited about getting those finishing touches done. It will most likely be a summer long project in some areas but I'm still excited because some of the big hurdles are behind us too.

And the flowers are cooperating nicely by starting to put on their show. Here's some highlights I found when I took a break the other day...


I love the color of this iris - It reminds me of a plant I had that came from my grandmother's garden in Ontario. Unfortunately I couldn't bring it across the border with me and my sweet mom has tried to preserve a piece for me in Canada but she's moved a few times herself since then. Regardless, this one still makes me think of them both.

Azaleas don't scare me nearly as badly as they used to. I find them a little fussy but anything this pretty is bound to be higher maintenance. (I have a friend with the same problem. )

This rose bush badly needs pruning but it is smothered in these beautiful roses. I haven't got the heart to do it right now.

I caught the verbena doing a balancing act after I'd watered them.

My "kitchen" garden - this poor lonely chive plant that is waiting to join the tomatoes and peppers and beans. This and one strawberry plant were the only two to survive the renovation on our house.

That's it. I hope you've got flowers to make you smile around you, too.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Very, very beautiful. My camera is broken, so I can't reciprocate at the moment.

But my giant irisis (the center is the same colour as yours, with a dark purple bloom on the outside) are just amazing. Only 1 bloom last year when I planted it; this year, 11 blooms.

My clematis and day lily have each opened one bloom this week.

I'm loving it!