Toddler legs are some of the cutest things God ever chose to make. My kids are growing and now it's only a fond memory or an afternoon with someone else's kids that let me enjoy those chubby little knees and inverted ankles.
But, let me be frank, there are many stages of those younger years that I do not miss. Many, many stages that I don't miss. And because they're pretty safely behind me, I can laugh at other mom's that are living with them. Not too loudly, of course, and with the hope that the twinkle in my eye is taken for empathy should I ever get caught.
Case in point - I was at Starbucks the other day (laugh - I know - not a coffee drinker but there I sat) waiting for a friend that I was also interviewing for a magazine article. Two grown-up sorts of activities. As I waited, I tried to figure out how to duplicate the ceiling panels for our church, smiled at the too friendly and obviously over-caffeinated staff, and ran over some notes for the interview. And I briefly noted a young mother visiting with a friend in the corner while two little blond toddlers played on the floor.
Then came those electrifying words "Mommy, I have to go potty."
She didn't even stop to finish her sentence. "Mommy" dashed across the coffee shop to locate the restroom door and then stood there doing a "hope-we're-on-time" dance of her own while her small son tried to run behind her with his knees locked together to avoid the inevitable. They disappeared from sight before the dent in her chair cushion had even had a chance to start relaxing.
Gotta tell ya...
Don't miss those days.
Seeking Test Audience for My Latest Novel
-
Love to read? How would you like to participate in a "test audience" for my
latest novel? I'm looking for a group of readers willing to read my
unpublished...
13 years ago

1 comment:
:)
Post a Comment