Ever have one of those days?
I spend Sunday and Monday driving someone else's car. It was a fun little car and had lots of oomph on the hills of the interstate of our area. Even with the air conditioning on.
Our van doesn't like working as hard when the air conditioning is on. It thinks a little more about the hills and generally acts as lazy as the heat around here makes me feel.
I should mention too, that our vehicle (the brand, not just the one we're driving) had a history of dropping transmissions at pretty predictable times. So when the engine starts straining just a little, I do tend to wonder if this is "the big one" - has the tranny given up the ghost and I'll end up staring at the under side of my van on a hoist somewhere? It happened to us once in St. Regis, Montana. I don't recommend an extended stay in St. Regis, Montana, by the way. Or Fargo, North Dakota. Although that was discs, not the transmission.
But back to today - I left home to run down to the library for some more summer stories. And couldn't help but notice that the engine was revving a little high. I mean, we should have been driving about 120 mph according to the tachometer. But we definitely weren't. (Really, honey.) And then on the first big hill it got worse.
"Oh, no." (Visions of shop cars started dancing in my head.) "This is not a good week for this!"
Turns out I'd left the parking brake on.
Seeking Test Audience for My Latest Novel
-
Love to read? How would you like to participate in a "test audience" for my
latest novel? I'm looking for a group of readers willing to read my
unpublished...
13 years ago

2 comments:
chuckling .... been there!
Tee hee! that reminds me of an electrical problem we had in our first house. The light in the storage room had never worked. We couldn't figure out what the problem was - looked at the wiring; looked at the switch. Until I had my dad come over (who was an electrician in his younger days) and he gave the bulb a twist. Voila! Tightened bulb = light!
Post a Comment