Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dentist shoes

I don't know what your dentist is like but in my experience they have always been male, usually wear those white lab coat things and and have a brisk sort of humor-you-through-the-chair attitude (except for the dental hygienist that used to come to my elementary school with the SERIOUS cigarette breath and no sense of humor. Maybe that's the reason I've been seeing male dentists lately...)

Anyways, I took my children to a new dentist the other day and she was - well - a she. Good - I thought. Maybe she'll be a little more realistic about the whole experience. I mean, it really can't be a fun job but a number of pediatric dentists I've encountered have zero flexibility on their policies about accompanying your child through the appointment. But before I go into a serious snit mode, just let me say that this dentist surprised me.

Why?

Well, my child and I had been chatting, the hygienist had done her thing and then I heard a "click, click, click" coming across the floor. So I looked over and saw...a pair of really cute strappy silver sandals (slides, if you want to be really accurate) and a toe ring.

Yep, that was the dentist.

So I may have immediately graduated to middle-aged old broad. She's cute, stylish and has a great sense of humor. She also seems to be a very competent dentist. But my first thought was "Sandals? It's November!" And the part that scared me the most was the "Young lady!" sort of tone that came in the middle of that thought.

Ack!!

I ran home and checked through my shoes for something not-too-old to wear to a meeting later that night. And sighed as I pulled on some warm socks and a pair of dress boots.

It's November, after all.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm having more of those "you're so young!" moments too. And then I stop and wonder what that makes me.

And then I decide I don't care.

(Which definitely makes me not young.)

:)