Friday, November 14, 2008

Not quite what I expected

So today I was teaching again in an art residency and it was a painting day (as opposed to a writing day or a sketching day or a "dummy" day). The students are usually pretty excited about it. We've done all sorts of water color techniques including the highly popular spattering.

But today, one child wasn't quite ready to enter in to the process. Instead he threw up.

Fortunately, it was only a few minutes to recess time, so the teacher rounded the class up and took them to the playground while a parent volunteer shepherded the poor child to the office and the custodian came in to clean up.

And there I sat, torn between a parental sympathy for the student and thinking "Wow - that wasn't the reaction I expected at all!"

2 comments:

Patti said...

Is it wrong that I'm laughing??

vjc said...

Not sure - but on reflection, I would expect you to see the humor in it. It's one of the reasons I like you so much so thanks for not letting me down..

:)