Last night, I went to bed on time - a feat for me - and didn't set the alarm clock. I was sure I'd wake up in time to get ready for church OR I'd hear the young 'uns moving around the house in time OR - if none of those happened - I'd have had a REALLY great sleep.
But at some still-dark point, a ringing phone snapped me off my pillow. I peered at the clock by the bed.
6:00 am
As I reach for the phone, the usual range of thoughts ran through my mind:
a) It's bad news - Grandma did take a fall a few days ago and I haven't had an update lately.
b) There are other people I know that might be calling with bad news.
c) DH forgot about the time zone thing and is calling me to tell me some bad news before the first seminar starts. (He's a couple time zones away right now at a conference with a goofy name.)
d) Nope, he'd never make a mistake like that. It must be bad news and how will I let him know?
"Hello?" Well, at least I sound fairly conscious. I think.
"Hi, this is Jason. Who's this?"
Check the clock again. Still 6:00 am. I'm not telling anyone my name at 6 am.
"Um." (Perhaps not as conscious as I thought.) "Um, Jason who?"
"Is this joyful living?"
Great. Now he's not even talking English.
"I beg your pardon?" (Slightly better than "Huh?")
"Isn't this Joyful Living?"
Not at this time of day its not.
"No, I'm sorry it's not."
"Oh. Sorry to have woken you up then."
He doesn't sound sorry to me. But it's too late now anyways.
"Okay."
"Bye." Click.
6:01 am.
I guess my day just started...
Seeking Test Audience for My Latest Novel
-
Love to read? How would you like to participate in a "test audience" for my
latest novel? I'm looking for a group of readers willing to read my
unpublished...
13 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment